Friday, June 19, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance Season 5 Episode 8 (Performance Night)

So You Think You Can Dance Season 5 Episode 8 was really something to look forward to since having seen the exquisite standards that the dancers have set in their last week's performances. I was expecting great and possible "talk of the town" dances, and that's what I got this episode!

So let us now start with my TOP FAVORITE performances of the night.

TOP 3 Performances:
1 - On top of my list was the routine performed by Melissa and Ade, which was choreographed by Sonya Tayeh.

It was such a brilliant choreography that really showcased the two dancers' talents - Ade on contemporary and Melissa on ballet. Ade's strength was special. He was stable and very supportive of her partner. And with Melissa... she was just fabulous. She looked young for her age. Well, to sum it all up, these two are a force to reckon with in this competition.

2 - Second place goes to Kayla and Max with a pop jazz routine choreographed by Brian Friedman.

I really loved the story behind the dance. Max plays a man who would dace for the princess, which, in this case, is Kayla. He, however, had an intention of throwing her down from her throne, which he was successful in doing at the end. Haha. Oh and about Kayla... she has been very consistent on her performances and, indeed, very, very beautiful!

3 - Last on the TOP list are Janette and Brandon with a disco routine choreographed by Doriana Sanchez.

This was such a tiring routine to watch! The song was so fast, my eyes couldn't even keep up with the dance. In their practices, Janette seemed to be struggling with the routine, but at the performance night, even if she almost tripped over, she was able to nail it! And now with Brandon... he was finally able to get some loving from Lil C, who, in the past, failed to be impressed with his dancing.

And now let's go to my SAFE LIST. The number one stop goes to Evan and Randi with a jive routine choreographed by Louis van Amstel.
I think their performance was just safe because I saw nothing quite memorable about their performance. It was just OKAY. That's it.

Second on the SAFE LIST are Jonathan and my fellow Filipino, Karla with their contemporary routine by Stacey Tookey.
They came second because the performance was really great! I was thinking of including them on my TOP LIST; however, they were not able to match the energy level and skill that my TOP 3 had. Also, I think Stacey from Canada did a great job for these two guys. She was able to ump the level for these two guys who were on the bottom 3 last week. I will be looking forward to her choreography. She's third from all my favorite choreographers, with Mia Michaels and Wade Robson on first and second, respectively.

I hate doing this, but if there are TOP 3 and SAFE LIST, there's also a BOTTOM 3 LIST. On first and second of the list are Shane Sparks' hip hop routines, which made it a very tough night for him. It was obvious the judges were disappointed, but they tried to sugarcoat it to avoid offending him.
BOTTOM LIST:
1 - Caitlin and Jason - Their performance was really dry and boring! Nothing more I could say about that.
2 - Ashley and Kupono - The effort was there, but they lacked synchronization because Kupono was struggling with the routine. Ashley, on the other hand, was so beautiful to watch.
3 - Asuka and Vitolio with a Louis van Amstel waltz routine. It supposed to be a dramatic performance, but they were not able to deliver it. I found it boring, and the dancers lacked chemistry.
4 - Jeanine and Phillip who performed a tango routine by Tony Meredith. They were my number one top favorite dancers last week, but they disappointed me this week. I really love how unique Phillip is in his genre of dance, but he should try harder for the other routines because we expect him to suck in other genre of dance, and that's what he just showed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment